Cocktail recipes can add sparkle to your holiday spread, and turn a drab gathering into a lit one. Read on to try out these nine concoctions for your New Year’s eve party.
RELATED: 11 Top Vegas Strip Clubs
In this article:
- Mulled Wine
- Bloody Mary
- Champagne Margarita
- Moscow Mule
- Rum Hot Chocolate
- Cranberry and Gin Cocktail
- Cold Toddy
- Spiced Cherry Spitz
- Apple Cider and Rum
The Best Cocktail Recipes to Buzz in the New Year
1. Mulled Wine
The English concoct this drink during the holidays to warm themselves for the festivities. Mulled wine will keep the cold at bay and invite the cheers in.
- 1 750ml bottle Cabernet or Any Dry Red Wine
- 1 whole orange, sliced into circles
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 cinnamons sticks
- 2 pcs star anise
- Any Sweetener
- Combine and heat ingredients. Heat the mixture for up to 7 minutes. Do not boil.
- Serve. Once the mulled wine is hot, you can transfer it to a preheated slow cooker or a rice cooker set to keep warm function to keep it warm while serving.
2. Bloody Mary
A bloody mary’s appearance is suited for the holidays and will zest up your New Year’s celebration. You can enjoy this variation of one of the most classic cocktail recipes for a pre-party afternoon drink or during the event itself.
The tomato juice in this cocktail should make you feel less guilty about bingeing and help you forget about weight loss worries until next year.
- 1 cup vodka
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 whole cucumber, seeds removed
- 1/3 cup distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- A dash of hot pepper sauce like Tabasco
- Sea salt
- Ice cubes
- Make the tomato alcohol mix. Combine all the ingredients from vodka to celery seeds in a blender and then mix.
- Spice the drink up. Put Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and hot sauce into the mix. Blend again and check if the taste is to your liking.
- Prepare the glasses and pour. Salt the rims of the glasses, fill with ice cubes, add garnishings like celery stalks or lime wedges, and pour the mix.
3. Champagne Margarita
When you want to combine Southern comfort and the bright, sparkling sense of a New Year, mix a glass of champagne and margarita. The drink will add the extra kick when you ring the bell on the last hours of the last day of the year.
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 cup Blanco tequila
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur
- 1 750ml bottle champagne
- Lime wedges
- Mix ingredients. Mix the tequila, liqueur, and champagne in a pitcher.
- Prep the glasses. Rim the glasses with the salt and the wedges. Pour the cocktail into the glasses and enjoy.
4. Moscow Mule
A Moscow Mule packs the right heat from your throat down to your stomach. One mug of this will prep you for long-lasting partying even as the night grows colder.
- 44 ml vodka
- 44 ml lime juice
- 1/2 cup ginger beer
- Ice cubes
- Lime wedge
- Mix the alcohol. Combine the vodka and lime juice in a glass first.
- Follow up with the rest. Add the ice cubes and the ginger beer.
- Garnish. Put the lime wedge on the glass, and enjoy.
5. Rum Hot Chocolate
A mug of hot chocolate should be standard fare during the holidays. This is one of the easier cocktail recipes to make and one you’ll enjoy drinking with your partner.
It might warm you two up enough for a round of holiday sex.
- 1 750 ml bottle cinnamon cream liqueur
- 1 mint chocolate bar
- Mix ingredients. Mix both ingredients in a hot pan, but don’t boil.
- Keep warm. You can serve the liquor once the ingredients mix. Keep it hot on a slow cooker and enjoy.
6. Cranberry and Gin Cocktail
Cranberries add a nice tang to meals during the Christmas and New Year celebrations. They also mix well with spirits, as this popular cocktail will prove.
- 1 750 ml bottle gin
- 2 cups cranberries
- 4 rosemary, fresh sprigs
- Lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Make an infusion in advance. Combine the gin and the cranberries into one container a week before you plan to go drinking.
- Transfer the gin. After a week, the cranberries should have infused the gin with their flavor. Transfer the liquid to a new container while removing the cranberries in the process.
- Shake things up. Put a chopped sprig of rosemary and a dash of lemon juice in a shaker and mix. Add 1/2 cup of the gin and shake again.
- Strain and serve. Add the mixture into a glass with ice cubes and serve. You can also garnish this drink with cranberries and a wedge of lemon.
7. Cold Toddy
The Cold Toddy puts a spin on one of the most recognizable warm cocktails, the Hot Toddy. You can serve this drink to both refresh you and warm your spirits up for the celebration to come.
- 1 orange
- 5 lemons
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 ginger, sliced and smashed
- 4 Earl Grey tea bags
- 1 tsp cloves
- 2/3 cups honey
- 2 cups rye whiskey
- 1 tsp bitters
- Zest the fruits. Peel the zest off the oranges and a lemon.
- Juice the fruits. Juice the oranges in a small bowl until you have a quarter of a cup. In a separate glass, juice the other lemons.
- Heat the zest. Place the zests into a pan with broken up pieces of cinnamon sticks and the ginger and bags of Earl Grey tea. Boil the concoction for 5 minutes.
- Cooldown the mix. Remove the pan from the heat and take out the tea bags. Add the honey and let it cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Strain and serve. Once the mix has cooled, strain the solids out and add the orange juice, bitters, ice, and rye whiskey. You can garnish each drink with orange twists and ginger slices.
8. Spiced Cherry Spitz
This version of the cherry spitz is one of the simplest cocktail recipes to make and it will bring the party to your mouth.
- 1/2 cup Amaro
- 1/3 cup Lambrusco
- Cherry soda
- 1 pc maraschino cherry
- Mix the alcohol. Combine the Amaro and Lambrusco in an ice-filled glass.
- Finish and garnish. Add cherry soda and then mix. Top it off with the maraschino cherry.
9. Apple Cider and Rum
This cocktail recipe will give you a good mix of sweetness and tartness, with the heat of spices boosting you up as you wait for the new year on December 31st.
- 1 apple
- 1 orange, sliced thinly
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dark rum,
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Prep the apple. Poke the apple with the cloves until they stud the apple.
- Heat in a pot. Put all of the ingredients, except rum, in a single pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove the mixture from the heat and then pour the rum in.
- Serve. Take the apple out and pour the drinks into glasses or mugs. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Cocktail recipes guarantee you a good time by helping you ease into the merrymaking in your holiday party outfit and allow you to become more open to what the new year will bring. Here’s to you and may these cocktail recipes liven up your party!
What cocktail recipes not in this list would you recommend? Give us your recommendations in the comments section below.