Show off your cooking skills over the holidays with these simple date night recipes.
In this article:
- Baked Bacon and Asparagus Sticks
- Deconstructed Lasagna
- Salmon with a Garlic Honey Glaze
- Homemade Blue Cheese and Steak Pizza
Impress Your Woman with These Easy Date Night Recipes
1. Baked Bacon and Asparagus Sticks
If you need to buy yourself some time to make your main dish for dinner, whip up these easy bacon and asparagus sticks for your date to munch on while you impress her in the kitchen.
- 1 puff pastry sheets (thawed)
- 100 g sliced bacon (about 6-8 slices of bacon)
- 12 asparagus sticks
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and slice it into ½ inch strips.
- Slice each bacon strip in half (lengthwise).
- Take the bacon and wrap it around the asparagus. Think of it as candy cane-like stripes on the bacon.
- Take a puff pastry slice and do the same thing. Start the loop in the free space between the bacon.
- The bacon and the puff pastry should not be completely overlapping. Most of the asparagus should be wrapped.
- Place the wrapped asparagus on the baking tray.
- Repeat these steps for the rest of the asparagus.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and beat it lightly to make an egg wash.
- Use a brush and coat the wrapped asparagus with egg wash.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pop it into the oven for 18 minutes or until the sticks are puffed up and golden brown.
- Remember, bacon is already salty, so season lightly!
- Switch to low sodium bacon to make this healthier.
- This appetizer can also serve as a main dish if you pair it with salad and light pasta.
2. Deconstructed Lasagna
Lasagna is a classic comfort food that’s perfect for a chilly night during the holidays. Here’s a version that doesn’t require as much prep.
- 1 ½ cups wide egg noodles
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese (grated)
- Chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook egg noodles according to package instructions.
- In a medium saucepan, warm spaghetti sauce over medium heat.
- Slowly stir in cottage cheese and mozzarella.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add the egg noodles into the sauce.
- Grease a baking dish.
- Pour noodles and sauce into the baking dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle parsley.
- You can opt for fat-reduced versions of the cheeses for a healthier version of the dish.
- Want something more substantial? Add ground beef and other spices to the sauce.
- Enjoy the dish with a slice of garlic bread.
3. Salmon with a Garlic Honey Glaze
If you’re looking for healthy date night recipes, you can’t go wrong with salmon! The wonderful thing about serving salmon for dinner is that you can feel full without feeling bloated—perfect if you’re looking forward to an after-dinner workout session in the bedroom.
- 4 pieces of 150-170 g salmon fillets
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole lemon
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Fresh parsley (chopped)
- Pat salmon dry with paper towels.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Slice the whole lemon into rounds and set aside.
- Mix honey, lemon juice, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive in a large pan.
- When the oil becomes hot but before it starts smoking, slowly place the salmon with the skin-side up.
- Cook salmon on one side for around 6 minutes or until it’s golden.
- Flip the salmon and add the rest of the oil.
- Add garlic and cook for about one minute until you can smell its aroma.
- Pour in the honey mix and sliced lemon.
- Cook until the glaze thickens to your desired consistency (usually when the sauce is reduced to a third of its original amount).
- Scoop up some sauce and pour it on top of the salmon.
- Sprinkle some parsley on top before serving.
- The bottom of your pan should be coated with oil when you start cooking the fish. So if you’re cooking with a larger pan, you may need more oil.
- Serve this dish with some salad, and you’re good to go!
4. Homemade Blue Cheese and Steak Pizza
The contrasting flavors the savory steak against the punchy blue cheese makes this date night recipe extra special. It’s also so easy to make, your date might even have fun helping you put it together.
- 200 g beef sirloin (sliced thinly)
- 2 cups portobello mushroom (sliced)
- ¼ cup blue cheese
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 medium pizza crust (12 inches)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp fresh parsley (minced)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- To make the pizza toppings, pour 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Stir in the beef and mushroom.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until the beef isn’t pink anymore.
- Remove beef and mushroom from pan and set aside.
- To make the sauce, add the remaining oil in another pan.
- Cook the onions for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Pour in the cream and mix in the blue cheese. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Place pizza crust on a baking sheet.
- Use a ladle to scoop and spread the sauce on the crust.
- Sprinkle the pizza toppings generously.
- Top with fresh parsley.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the sauce begins to bubble.
- Slice it into 6 pieces and serve.
- Try not to overcook the beef in the pan. Remember, you’re going to bake the pizza, so that’ll add to the beef’s cooking time.
- To add more flavor, sprinkle more crumbled blue cheese on top.
- Serve it with honey or chili oil.
The holidays give you a free pass to indulge a little, so don’t end your date night without having some dessert. This simple brownie recipe is an easy way to put a smile on her face.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (cut up into four or five pieces)
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 170 g bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ½ tsp rock salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Use parchment paper to line the base and sides of an 8-inch baking pan.
- Place a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Add butter and chocolate in the bowl. Stir together until you get a smooth mixture.
- Mix in sugar.
- Crack in one egg and mix it thoroughly. Repeat with the other egg.
- Mix in the salt, cocoa, and flour until everything is combined.
- Pour mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until it sets.
- Use a toothpick to check if the center is cooked. If it is, pull it out of the oven and let it cool down for 15 minutes before uncasing the brownies.
- When it’s done cooling down, use parchment paper on the side to pull the brownies out of the pan.
- Gently place on a wire rack and let it cool down completely.
- Cut it into squares.
- If you want dessert to be extra special, serve the brownies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- If you want to add crunch to your brownies, you can mix some walnuts into the batter before baking it.
Avoid the holiday rush and treat your girl to a night in with these easy but delicious date night recipes. Fair warning though, she may be so impressed that she’ll want to thank you for it—so make sure you’re ready for some after-dinner action!
Have you tried any of these holiday date night recipes? How did it go? Tell us about it in the comments section.