Health and wellness can impact how men perform in their day-to-day activities and increase the quality of their lives as they age. Read on for some points to ponder.
In this article:
- What Is Health and Wellness All About?
- What Are the Health and Wellness Benefits? How Health and Wellness Impacts Your Life
- What Are Health and Wellness Goals and How Do You Make Them?
- Are There Apps for Health and Wellness?
The Road to Better Men’s Health and Wellness
What Is Health and Wellness All About?
Let’s go to the World Health Organization’s definition of health, which is the “complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” If you think about it in other terms, it’s about doing good in all the aspects of yourself and thriving in one’s daily life.
Wellness involves your ability to tend to your own health and take care of yourself. It’s synonymous with self-care—a term you’ll read from the Internet a lot.
Looking at the definitions of health and wellness again, we can see, they can entertain a lot of approaches to help men improve themselves on a total level.
What Are the Health and Wellness Benefits? How Health and Wellness Impacts Your Life
1. How Health and Wellness Affect Your Body
The foundation of your everyday life rests in your body. When you get sick, the other areas of life can suffer.
By prioritizing your health and well-being through the creation of a good, solid plan to lower certain biomarkers like your cholesterol level, blood sugar, and blood pressure, you’ll find the energy to meet your needs in other areas. Good physical health enables a better mind, better relationships, and work focus.
2. How Health and Wellness Affect Your Mental Health
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention shared that men are 3.54 times more likely to commit suicide than women. This statistic underscores why men should start taking their mental health seriously and take steps to address any emotional or psychological issues they are experiencing.
By embracing men’s wellness, you’ll gain the awareness you need to identify unhealthy mental states and ask for help when you’re floundering.
3. How Health and Wellness Affect Your Work and Productivity
A 2019 UK report on employee wellness showed that 79% of employees encounter stress at work and 46% believe stress and anxiety are part of the job. If you’re part of these statistics, odds are stress and anxiety present challenges to your being your best self in the office.
Since we spend more of our waking hours at work than we do at home, it’s time you started investing in making your company a place conducive for wellness. This will allow you to focus on getting the job done and less time managing the harmful effects of work-related stress.
4. How Health and Wellness Affect Your Relationships
Your well-being can positively impact your relationships and vice-versa. When you’re physically and mentally healthy, you’ll be able to give your full presence to your friends and family.
Health and wellness will also ground you emotionally so you’ll be able to manage your interactions better and therefore provide the kind of support your loved ones need.
What Are Health and Wellness Goals and How Do You Make Them?
1. Men’s Wellness Goals for the Body
Look at goals that help you develop your physical fitness. Your specific goals may involve sports, specific exercises, or training regimens like cardio or strength training.
You can also look at weight goals or meeting calorie requirements per day.
2. Health and Wellness Goals for the Mind
Good mental health goals involve seeking support and taking vacations and breaks. You should also learn to acknowledge what you’re feeling, accept those feelings are valid, and learn to process them by sharing them with others or sublimating them through hobbies.
3. Wellness Goals for the Workplace
Find ways to help yourself and your co-workers cope with stress. You can talk to the management about work-life balance practices and giving workshops or funding wellness programs centering on stress management techniques and mindfulness.
4. Health and Wellness Goals for Relationships
Goals involving health and wellness and relationships center around quality time and bonding.
Are There Apps for Health and Wellness?
Yes, there are a lot of health and wellness apps available now that you can download for your mobile devices. These apps can monitor your heart rate, suggest exercise routines, calibrate diets depending on your weight loss goals, or even teach you how to meditate.
Here are examples of such apps you can download to improve your health and wellness now:
- MyFitnessPal – MyFitnessPal, one of the best fitness trackers for Android devices and the iPhone, allows users to track the calories and nutrients of their diet with the use of an online database. The app also works with other apps like RunKeeper, Garmin, Jawbone, and FitBit to provide data in connection with the user’s exercise performance numbers.
- Nike Training Club – The Nike Training Club app gives men advice on what workouts they can pursue to improve certain aspects of their fitness like strength, endurance, and looks. This workout app provides instructions on how to perform exercises for free.
- Headspace – This is a meditation and mindfulness app that can help improve men’s mental health by giving them the opportunity to accept and understand their negative thoughts.
Start embracing health and wellness and imbibe self-care. Caring for yourself means you’ll be able to be strong for others when it counts and that’s reason enough to inculcate these practices into your notion of being a man.
What health and wellness routines do you do? Give us your self-care tips in the comments section below.