Look great at every holiday party you’ll attend. Here are some style tips to help you come up with the best holiday party outfits!
In this article:
- Throw on a Nice Jacket to Spruce up Your Casual Look
- Mix and Match Your Patterns and Solids
- Stay Warm and Fashionable in a Shawl-Collar Cardigan
- Skip the Jacket and Rock a Standalone Top
- Trade-in Your Black Tux for a Blue One
- Add Holiday Accessories to Everyday Outfits
- Have Fun with Your Necktie
- Bling Up Your Lapels
- Pay Attention to Your Shoes
Dress to Impress with These Holiday Party Outfit Tips
1. Throw on a Nice Jacket to Spruce Up Your Casual Look
Got invited to a last-minute holiday party with friends? No problem!
A well-fitting jacket over your usual jeans and shirt combo can instantly give you a casual yet put-together look. A jacket in the leather family will work well with this look.
Remember, your jacket is the focal point of this outfit, so keep everything else simple by opting for dark jeans and a plain shirt.
2. Mix and Match Your Patterns and Solids
If you want to stand out at a holiday cocktail party with your bosses, combine pieces from different business suits. Try to mix and match patterns and solids for a striking, sharp look.
When you’re wearing solid trousers, pair it with a patterned coat (and vice-versa). If you want to embody the holidays, stick with deep colors like burgundy, navy, and chocolate brown.
Tip: Keep your shirt simple, especially if you’re going for a patterned jacket. Instead, stick with a shirt that sports a light color.
3. Stay Warm and Fashionable in a Shawl-Collar Cardigan
Don’t disappoint your Instagram-loving mom or aunts by looking sloppy at a family holiday shindig. A shawl-collar cardigan is an effortless addition to your everyday look.
It dresses up casual outfits without compromising comfort, so you can feel laid back without looking like it.
Tip: Solid dark-colored shawl-collar cardigans are great staples for your closet, but you may want to shake things up for the holidays. Try looking for ones in more vibrant colors or tasteful nordic patterns.
4. Skip the Jacket and Rock a Standalone Top
If jackets aren’t your thing (or if it’s too warm for one), opt for a bolder top. A holiday party is a great time to bring out your funky button-down shirts.
When you’re wearing a standalone top, you can go all out with busy prints. You can try other statement tops as well, like turtlenecks or wool sweaters.
Tip: If you’re wearing a busy top, keep your bottoms simple. Go for dark trousers or jeans.
RELATED: 11 Top Vegas Strip Clubs
5. Trade-in Your Black Tux for a Blue One
If you’re invited to a formal event over the holidays, leave your standard black tux at home. The penguin suit is a classic, but you’re more likely to fade into the crowd.
Instead, stand out in a sexy midnight blue tuxedo. Pair it with a crisp white shirt and a silky black tie, and you’re good to go!
Tip: Men over six feet tall can consider getting a double-breasted jacket instead of the standard tuxedo jacket. And remember, always leave the bottom button of your jacket undone.
6. Add Holiday Accessories to Everyday Outfits
If you’re looking at a long workday and don’t have the time to change your outfit before your office holiday party, you can try working in some festive accessories. Here are a few items you can add to make your everyday outfit more jolly:
- Long holiday-themed knitted socks
- Red or checkered wool scarves
- A wristwatch with holiday-colored straps
Holiday colors usually include red, green, and gold. Any accessories with these hues can give you an extra holiday vibe!
7. Have Fun with Your Necktie
If you don’t want to change things up too much, use your necktie to add a merry touch to your outfit. You can choose ties in different holiday colors and prints.
Apart from the usual silk ties, there are also knit wool ties that can add a layer of texture to your outfit. If you want to go the extra mile, you can even add accessories to your necktie.
You can keep your necktie in place with a tie bar or a tie pin. These also come in a variety of shapes and colors.
Tip: If you want to try something different, try using a bow tie instead. They’ll give your outfit a touch of whimsy that’s perfect for the holidays.
8. Bling Up Your Lapels
If you’re wearing a suit to a dressier holiday party, you can make a statement by adding a decorative pin or a boutonniere on your lapel.
What is a lapel? It is the folded fabric directly under the collar and on each side of the jacket’s opening.
Remember, though, when it comes to blinging up your lapel, there are a few rules you need to keep in mind:
- It should always be pinned on the left lapel and below the collar point.
- If you’re wearing a pocket square, the pin should be above it
- Check if the jacket has a built-in buttonhole for pins. If there is, carefully insert the pin or boutonniere in the hole.
- Otherwise, carefully pierce through the jacket. Remember, holes can become visible over time.
Tip: Choose lapel pins or boutonnieres with a holiday design for a subtle festive touch.
9. Pay Attention to Your Shoes
Your choice of footwear can make or break an entire outfit. Here are some tips that’ll help you choose the right shoe for each outfit:
- A tuxedo goes with sleek black shoes. Don’t wear dress shoes with cap toes or wingtips with a tuxedo—these go better with regular suits.
- Sneakers in loud colors can make a casual outfit look even more relaxed. If you want to be comfortable but still look put together, wear sleeker black or navy blue sneakers.
- Leather slip-ons work well with both casual and work outfits.
- Oxford shoes and loafers are also a versatile choice. You can dress them up for semi-formal events and dress them down to go with casual outfits.
- Look for leather boots that are both functional and fashionable. That way, you can easily pair them with jeans, trousers, or tailored pants.
Shoes shouldn’t be an outfit afterthought, especially when you’re trying to look your best at a holiday party! Choosing the right pair of shoes is just as important as choosing the right shirt.
Tip: If you’re going to party all night, you may want to slide in some insoles. Shoe inserts like insoles can make shoes feel more comfortable and reduce the risk of injury.
The holidays are the perfect time to experiment and leave wardrobe staples at home. It’s a great opportunity to try brighter and bolder options you may normally shy away from.
With these holiday party attire tips, you may get more attention than you bargained for, so make sure you’re ready for all the action that may come your way.
What do you plan to wear for your holiday office party? Let us know in the comments section below.